TRENDING NOW






JAMB To Deploy New Exam Questions In Each Session For 2017 UTME

_The Joint Admission Matriculation Board has made known to the public that it has fixed some certain loopholes that led to the postponement of the Mock Examination on 8th April,2017.

The JAMB spokesman, Dr Fabian Benjamin who spoke on recent developments admitted that there was actually a breach of some of the equipment which, if allowed to continue, would have compromised the integrity of the exercise.

Benjamin who faulted claims that the Board was not prepared for the examinations said the challenges being experienced are teething problems which have been addressed.

He said, “Thank God the mock examination is a voluntary exercise that was designed to test -run our system, to also identify some of those things that we have identified now. Some of the things we learnt from that postponement, we will not begin to discuss them in the open because they are very confidential, but suffice it to say that it opened the door for us to see what we should do to ensure that the forthcoming examination is one of the best ever conducted by this Board.

Although the Computer Based Test (CBT) has been in use by the Board in the last three years, Benjamin clarified that new innovations are designed every year to checkmate any act of security breach.

According to him, _“CBT as an exam mode is the same, whatever technology, whatever information or innovation we are bringing to bear on the exam, we are still going to deploy CBT. But the process is what we are talking about. Each year, we keep changing and improving on the processes._

First, in the area of questions, we have come up with a lot of innovations such that we have enough items to examine the candidates on.

 Previously, we used to deploy once in a day, a place that has three sessions in a day once you deployed in the morning, it is used for the whole day, but this is no longer the case.

 The Registrar, Prof Ishaq Oloyede is insisting that we must deploy each time we are conducting examination, which means that if we have three sessions, we will deploy three times; this is a new innovation to ensure that even the person at the centre does not compromise the sanctity of the examination.

He appealed to Nigerians to give the Board a chance in its efforts at redefining the process while assuring that the results would come out better in the long run.

So far, Benjamin said about 1.3 million candidates have registered for the examination billed to hold between May 13 and 20.








One of the country’s maternity hospitals has had to apologise after it emerged that a baby’s body was left stored in a room for four weeks, despite the mother being informed that he would be buried one week after his death, writes Noel Baker.

It also emerged that the mother of baby Eoin was told she could not attend his burial for what Letterkenny General Hospital said was “for private and confidential reasons”.

Eoin was born in October last year during the second trimester of his mother’s pregnancy. However, he died in the womb as a result of complications arising from a rare condition known as Turner’s syndrome.


His mother Lisa, who did not give her second name, told the This Week programme on RTÉ Radio 1 that while she had been told that Eoin would be buried a week after his birth, she later found out that her child’s body was left stored in a room in Letterkenny hospital for four weeks.

It also emerged that a member of staff told Lisa that Eoin’s body had been placed in the mortuary during the four-week period after delivery, when his body had been left in a room in the gynaecology ward.

A letter from the hospital to Lisa admitted that she and her partner were misled by a member of staff as to where the body was stored and apologised for the “deep hurt and distress which had been caused to both of you when [staff member] told you that your baby had not been buried and led you to believe your baby was in the mortuary when this was not the case”.

The letter also stated: “We are sorry that you were failed by Letterkenny University Hospital in relation to the burial of your son, Eoin, and that this was not carried out in the timescale and manner agreed with you. Unfortunately and sadly we cannot change that. We can and will, however, ensure that baby Eoin’s legacy will be that this does not ever happen again.”

Lisa told RTÉ she was “infuriated” by the response.

“My child had to lie for four weeks for them to open their eyes to this,” she said.

“I don’t understand how anyone could leave a human being, a baby, lying in a room for four weeks.”

She has now called for parents to be allowed attend burials in angels’ plots for miscarried babies, and pre-term babies who die in the womb, and to know where exactly their children’s bodies are buried.

“I don’t think anybody should have to go through that and I just pray and hope to God that this never happens again,” she said.

The hospital said it has revised its systems while the HSE said it published the National Standards for Bereavement Care following Pregnancy Loss and Perinatal Death last August. However, Lisa told RTÉ the document did not address the issues she experienced.


 (KMAXENEWS) : School fees can now be paid with goats, the government has announced.

Primary and Secondary Education Minister Lazarus Dokora has announced that parents who cannot pay with money, can do so using goats. He also added that they can also pay with labour.


Minister Dokora’s statement was announced in the state media early Sunday morning. Several primary schools in Glen View, Harare have already adopted the arrangement.

Dokora told the state media, “Our schools have to be flexible and ensure those who do not have money to pay fees can work. For example, if there is a builder in the community, he/she must be given that opportunity to work as a form of payment of tuition fees.
“On the issue of livestock, the community has to arrange a market where everyone participates; from the school authorities, local leadership and parents themselves to avoid parents being duped.”











The ministry’s permanent secretary Dr Sylvia Utete-Masango added: “Schools should not turn away pupils for not paying tuition fees. Instead, parents of the concerned children can pay the fees using livestock. That is mostly for rural areas, but parents in towns and cities can pay through other means; for instance, doing certain work for the school.

“In terms of valuation, school heads will stand in for the Primary and Secondary Education Ministry and school development committee members for parents. They will jointly determine the value of the livestock, and can then use the money realised to upgrade school infrastructure or help with agriculture.”


Zimbabwe Teachers’ Association secretary-general Mr John Mlilo implored authorities to reconsider the options.

“I do not think that is sustainable with regards to parents in urban areas. This is so because due to the learner population in both urban and rural areas, so many parents have outstanding balances.

“Therefore, I am trying to imagine those 1 000-plus parents coming to work at a school. There will be commotion! Talk about self-esteem … children will be subject to ridicule and bullying, and the concerned parents themselves will not feel good about it. Why spend time doing manual labour at a school when they can go there to look for a good job?







“The assumption also is that parents in rural areas have some sort of wealth. What if they don’t? And then what? Go and work? The ministry should look for more viable options.” A parent in Harare, Mr Tawanda Tsomondo, said: “If people pay school fees using livestock, where will the money to run the school come from? We cannot run schools with goats. People should just look for money to pay for their children’s tuition.”








Another, Mrs Cecilia Mbanje, said: “I think it works for people in rural areas, not people like us in town. Government should just address the issue of money shortages so that everyone has access to the dollar and pay school fees.”


(kmaxenews) : A terrible incident that happened in COLOMBO, Sri Lanka The death toll from the collapse of a massive garbage mound near Sri Lanka's capital rose to 22 on Sunday, and activists said some 20 more people could still be buried underneath the debris.



Maj. Gen. Sudantha Ranasinghe, who is heading the rescue efforts, said authorities were struggling to determine exactly how many people were trapped under the debris due to a lack of information from the residents.

Lawyer and activist Nuwan Bopage, who had worked with local residents in their protests to have the garbage dump removed, said about 20 people were buried under the debris.










Military personnel were still searching the site in Meetotamulla, a town outside Colombo, the capital, and speaking to survivors to determine how many were missing.

The tragedy occurred Friday evening as people were celebrating the local new year.

A resident who identified himself only as Sanjaya said that he and others were searching for three neighbors — an elderly man, his daughter and granddaughter — who were buried under the collapse.











Twelve people who were injured in the disaster remained in the hospital.

Ranasinghe said 78 houses were destroyed and more than 150 were damaged.

The site has been used to dump Colombo's garbage for the past few years as authorities sought to give the capital a face-lift. But residents living in tiny homes in the area have protested against all the waste being dumped there because of health hazards.










Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe said Saturday that the government would soon remove the garbage dump from the area.

He also said 625 people whose homes were either destroyed or under threat from the collapse were being housed in nearby schools and said everyone must be vigilant and careful.



(kmaxenews) : In USA: Nine people were shot during an argument in a Columbus, Ohio party hall early Sunday, leaving one of them critically wounded.

The shootout is thought to have been triggered by a disagreement inside J&R Party Hall, an after-hours venue in Cleveland Avenue, according to Sgt David Shimberg of the Columbus police department.

All of the injured are expected to survive, he said.










No arrests have been made after the incident, which happened at 3:30 a.m.


Police say they haven't identified any suspects yet, but think there was more than one shooter.

In the Ohio city of Cincinnati, authorities said a dispute escalated into a gun battle early Sunday, March 26, inside the Cameo club. Two people died, and 15 others were injured. A man has pleaded not guilty to dozens of charges including murder.


(kmaxenews) : An 8-month-old baby in India who weighs as much as a healthy 4-year-old has left doctors stumped over what could be causing her rabid appetite. Chahat Kumar, who weighs 38 pounds, was born a healthy baby without any complications.


When she was around 4 months old, Chahat’s weight began ballooning, and now her parents told Barcroft Media that she cries whenever she is not being fed.

“It’s not our fault,” Suraj, Chahat’s dad, told kmaxenews “God gave this condition to her. It’s not in our hands. I feel bad when some people laugh at her for being fat.”


Doctors have been unable to obtain a blood sample from Chahat because her skin is abnormally thick, the news outlet reported. She reportedly is suffering breathing and sleeping problems due to her extreme weight.

“We don’t have enough money for her treatment, but we do our best to make sure she gets well,” Reena, Chahat’s mother, told kmaxenews











Dr. Sharma, her pediatrician, said he recommended the family take Chahat to a pediatric specialist at the Civil Hospital, but they are not able to afford it, kmaxenews reported.

“Her weight is increasing excessively, and it has to be controlled,” he told the news outlet. “She has to eat less. She eats like a 10-year-old kid.”

Her parents, who lost a son before she was born, said they will keep searching for answers in hopes of Chahat having a normal childhood.

“We don’t want her to have difficulties in the future,” Reena told kmaxenews. “We want a good future for her.”











(kmaxenews) : Egypt's president called for a three-month state of emergency Sunday after at least 43 people were killed and more than 100 more were injured in two Palm Sunday suicide attacks at Coptic Christian churches, each carried out by the ISIS terror group.



Sunday's first blast happened at St. George Church in the Nile Delta town of Tanta, where at least 27 people were killed and 78 others wounded, officials said.

Television footage showed the inside of the church, where a large number of people gathered around what appeared to be lifeless, bloody bodies covered with papers.

A second explosion – which Egypt’s Interior Ministry says was caused by a suicide bomber who tried to storm St. Mark's Cathedral in the coastal city of Alexandria -- left at least 16 dead, and 41 injured. The attack came just after Pope Tawadros II -- leader of the Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria -- finished services, but aides told local media that he was unharmed.

At least three police officers were killed in the St. Mark’s attack, the ministry told The Associated Press.

ISIS claimed responsibility for the attacks via its Aamaq media agency, following the group's recent video vowing to step up attacks against Christians, who the group describes as "infidels" empowering the West against Muslims.


The blasts came at the start of Holy Week leading up to Easter, and just weeks before Pope Francis is due to visit Egypt, the Arab world's most populous country.

Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi accused unnamed countries of fueling instability in the country, adding "Egyptians have foiled plots and efforts by countries and fascist, terrorist organizations that tried to control Egypt." El-Sisi ordered the immediate deployment of troops to assist police in protecting vital facilities across the country.

El-Sisi did not immediately detail the legal measures needed to declare the state of emergency but according to the Egyptian constitution, the parliament majority must vote in favor of the state of emergency.